domingo, 29 de mayo de 2011

The opinion on...music/quality

Impossible, an other "the opinion on..." influenced by the book ZAMM. I don't know how much it influences my ideas anymore, but my whole creating a blog, buying a camera, having an opinion thing was started by me reading that book.
The opinion on this subject is a strong one, so watch out, and if you want to get mad, send me an e-mail on facebook, my adress is high_on_power@hotmail.com.

I say; musicians, or let me say, people with knowledge of music are snobby. I'll add more, snobby souls that are moving their fat lips talking about something that they shouldn't even think of. And that thing is Quality of art. Of a rythm or of a tone or of a song, doesn't matter, but Quality. By the way, by Quality I pretty much mean beauty, but I don't like beauty in this case, I feel like it's reserved for visual arts, so Quality. And Quality is a weird thing, because it does exist, that's undeniable, but it is; however, undescribable.

Don't get me wrong, the conclusion of this "the opinion on..." is not going to be about "everybody have their own opinion", I'll leave those cheesy lines to the next 100 animation movies, this is about the other side of liking or not liking something, the Quality of the object it's self.

I should however describe briefly the weird line between your tastes and the Quality of the thing. Example, garbage has NO quality of taste, chocolate has a lot. But saying that nobody likes garbage and every body likes chocolate is not true, that's where your taste have a little part in the debate, but that's all. Same thing for shapes, textures and sounds. Nobody likes a little kid beating the drums, or nails on a blackboard, because it has no quality.
So let's get back to the horrible relationship music and Quality have. When people hate something about a song or a rythm they either talk about Quality, which is a mistake, or something even more superficial, which is a bigger mistake.

Let's take Bieber, my favorite example, people hate him for an amazing amount of superficial reason. They prove themselves wrong with their one reasons. Let's try this game, I'll say something that I've heard about Justin Bieber, and then tell you why it makes no sense. He sings with the voice of a girl, however you listen to music with girls singing, therefore the sex of his voice is not a good reason not to like him. His lyrics are not deap enough, but you listen to music without a vocalist, actually, voice is most of the time, just an other instrument, so what he says is not as much important as how he says it, better said, how he sings it. He's too popular, too fake. Ya but you listen to the Beatles, Eminem or the Rolling Stones; so his popularity has nothing to do with it, and who are you to talk about realness.

Starting to get my drift? So after all that, there's one other reason why you wouldn't like Bieber, and that's where the mix between Quality and simply just not liking it gets in. So lets check out both options, is the Quality just not there, or does it simply just doesn't make your foot bounce to the beat? Well, the Quality of his music is obviously there, the kid has sold more than a billion album, so he can't be that bad. So the only other reason is that you don't like it, but why? (Before you read the next paragraph, think about why you like or don't like JB)

If you found a reason, you didn't hear one thing I said. The only thing that would make you not like it, is the little opinion that your personal tastes have to say in the debate of you liking it or not liking it. But any other thing has nothing to do with it, and that's what makes you a snobbish person with an opinion on music.

Have you ever notice that music is the only art that we even talk about things like that, knowing what the artist looks like is already wrong, the artist it self doesn't have anything to do with the Quality of his music. He can be a girl, boy, computer, gay, straight, black, white, those things have nothing to do with the Quality of his music.

So here it is, the opinion on music, quality, but more specifically, the connexion that, us human, should never talk about, our mind is not great enough to talk about Quality.

Just wanted to informed you why I got so passionate on this subject. First, because I got enough of snobbish opinion on music, and second, the subject of Quality is beautifully undesribable. Sometimes, I get so caught up on the reason of every thing, I get depress not finding out, and that's where I find refugee in Quality of art, because I don't even start looking for a reason, I know it doesn't exist.

Now put your headphones on and listen to your favorite song, have a good day.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario